Jack In and Enjoy: PPPoE and PPPoA

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

PPPoE and PPPoA

LOL! Sorry for the confusion, I was confused too at the first time but after having zillions of problems with DSL, sometimes I get to learn some things hehehe..
PPPoE means Point to Point Protocol over ethernet. This protocol is common used to establish connection between two computers using phone line. Dial up modems mainly using this protocol.

Now, PPPoA means Point to Point Protocol over ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode). This one is mainly used by DSL and Cable modems. Anyway, I usually connected through the PPPoE as the default setting from the first day we use the DSL. But sometimes when the PPPoE was fault to run, we call up the ISP's technical support staff and usually they can solve the problem. Well, I did call them up but the stupid operator didn't seem fully understand the matter. He only told me that he lodged a fault report and the technician will check it up next morning! OMG!

So after I hung up the phone, I was messing around with the setting. And I changed it into PPPoA, guess what, I could get the connection BUT the anti-virus client keep flashing itself. It shows me that there's an intrusion attempt from an IP, my own IP. LOL. So I called them up again, telling this matter, and now I talked with different guy but he couldn't help me about this. Anyway, I told him I could connect through the PPPoA and I'll call the "advanced" technical support staff at working hours tomorrow.

Oh, this is the last night before I can meet my girl again. Yay! Her flight is supposed to arrive in here around 0800 P.M. Can't hardly wait hehehe.. Ok time to bed now. Long day tomorrow.

"We do not remember days, we remember moments."
Cesare Pavese

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home