Jack In and Enjoy: P2P crap

Monday, October 04, 2004

P2P crap

I forgot to post about Bittorent that pissed me off. As some of you might already know what it is, I'll just explain a bit. Bittorent is a program to allow us to transfer files and documents from .exe; .doc; .jpeg; .wav; .mp3; etc. It works on a P2P basis. It means, that the program doesn't have database of any documents or files that we are looking for. It only facilitates the connection between the clients to make sure everyone gets what they want. Aside from other programs like Napster where it stores the files in their database servers. That's why Napster got into deep sh_t back to couple years ago because it violated copyright infringement. Anyway, the bad thing about P2P programs that some of them WILL force you to upload instead downloading what you are looking for. So let's say I'm downloading a movie clip advertisement, and so far I've downloaded about 47% of the total size, I might also uploading some certains area of the files to someone who only got about 23% of the total size. The good thing about P2P programs is that allow you to get the files from many sources at the same time. Sorry? What does P2P mean? It means Pimp To Pimp Peer To Peer.

Now, for my case, I haven't -please notice word "haven't"- download any crap from internet since the first day I installed it. So, in a proper calculation manner, the folder should be empty, at least I won't have any downloadable files in the folder. Then one day, I was trying to run my ICQ, it took ages to load, and when I put my password in, the damn client won't load. It had some kind of problem merging the data. First time, I thought the ICQ main servers might be down or under heavy maintenance. But when I asked my girl to load her ICQ on the other computer, it worked just fine. That made me wondering if anything wrong with this computer. So I started to explore all the folder in the computer. At the first try, I didn't notice anything wrong with it, so I just deleted some files I don't use or rarely use. Then at the third try, I tried to open the folder in Bittorent directory, it didn't work. The jerk folder always made the computer crashed. And guess what, when I checked its properties status, its size was 11 Gb. OMFG. It only left me about another 4 Gb memory capacity. Erm for those who cannot imagine how big it is, let's picture this: you drink Coke sometimes ok? In a can. Now imagine you pour every can of those into an empty swimming pool that eventually you can swim in it, with girls if you prefer a pretty picture here =P

I was so mad, 11 Gb equals thousands of files including movies, movie clips, pictures or even mp3 files. I'm 101% sure that I never download anything to that crappy folder. The next second I uninstalled the programs, remove any folder that relates to it. Now the computer is a happy chappy again.

Let me remind you that sometimes P2P program can be fun. You only have to put related words in the Search Box then you can get the list of the sources that can send you the files. But be cautious, all of P2P programs will drag spywares into your PC, and there is NO guarantee about the security of the files. You might think that you are downloading a cute program that will allow Pikachu running around chasing your mouse trail, but behind it, you get a bigger pet, what we call "trojan" horse files hehehe...

Don't tempted by funny names of files you see from the P2P programs. Sounds cute doesn't mean it's harmless. Download files that you're sure about.

Okeyday?

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
Thomas Stearns Eliot, aka T. S. Eliot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home